November 25, 2008

Album Review: 808's and HeartBreak



I'm feeling the whole album after listening to it in its entirety. The album deals prominently with Kanye's loss, specifically of his mother and his long-time girlfriend. The Auto-Tuned vocals and minimalist beats underscore the painful lyrics, creating a haunting, soul-wrenching soundscape. I dont want to get into total detail about the album but point out some tracks. A standout is "Welcome to Heartbreak" which finds Kanye saying "My friend showed me pictures of his kids/And all I could show him were pictures of my cribs/He said his daughter got a brand-new report card/And all I got was a brand-new sportscar" as though deriding the benefits of fame. "Pinocchio Story" is a bonus track which is downplaying all the fame he receives, and how he just wants to "Real Boy". It all adds up to a painfully honest Kanye, sad and alone - a Kanye we haven't seen on his previous 3 albums. Both lyrically and musically, Kanye strips off his flash and shows us the part of the man who can't always live "The Good Life."

>>>> The Artist Known as "B"

0 comments: